WorldAllDetails Logo

Destinations


Travel Europe Romania The historical fingerprint of Romania - Sighisoara

The historical fingerprint of Romania - Sighisoara

Sighisoara, Romania, City Hill view

The travelers who`s passing through Romania discover in the middle of the country the medieval fortress of Sighisoara. Located on the river Tarnava Mica, Sighisoara is a Saxon settlement attested in 1298, but the foundation of the town is dating from the twelfth century.
Economic development of the city of Sighisoara is remarkable, primarily due to the craftsmen guilds are mentioned for the first time in 1376. Artisan`s guild are those who created the whole system of fortification of the fortress of Sighisoara. Thanks to their testimony are now 9 of the 14 defensive towers and many have worked inside the walls are almost completely preserved, totaling 930 meters.
Today the tower houses the City History Museum of Sighisoara, the archaeological collection, pharmacy, furniture, crafts and guilds, watch crafting, ethnography, medieval and modern weapons, all resembling the history Sighisoara citadel.
Of the remaining towers and today evidence of the intense economic activity in the city are: Tanners \'Tower, Tin Tower, Tower Rope, Butchers\' Tower (XV century), Tower Tower, (1350), the back gate, the tower Tailors (XIV century), Shoemakers Tower, (1521) its present form is given the Baroque in 1681, and Blacksmith Cannon.
Clock Tower, Symbol of Sighisoara
The most representative for the city is Clock Tower. Built in the thirteenth - fourteen century, the tower has undergone many changes, last one after 1676, when it was given its current form. Its initial function was the main gate of the city, with a maximum of two levels. It has a height of 64 m, of which only the roof of 34m.
Tower is famous for its figures pertaining to the clock mechanism. On both facades of the tower there is one huge clock dial and niches with statues. Nice on the facade from the city contains the following figures: Peace with trumpet bottom left and olive branch, the right drummer beating a quarter hours and bronze drum, the middle three large female statues, blue dresses, representing Peace, Justice and Righteousness, at the same level there are two small figures representing Day and Night, marking the day actually working craftsmen of the city.
In the niche on the facade from the Lower Town we have the following: Hangman on the bottom right-left the second drummer to mark the passage of time. Above them is a revolving facility which is secured by seven oak painted figures representing the seven days of the week, garments and attributes of deities from the pantheon of Greco-Roman and German head wearing symbols of medieval alchemy. The first document of the clock and figurines is dating from 1648. Today the old mechanisms do not exist, the actual mechanism being bought in Switzerland in 1906.
Clock Tower was originally a gate tower. The four turrets standing at the base of the roof means the judicial autonomy of the city. Until 1556, the first floor it served as City Hall. In the year 1894 with Clock Tower has undergone a general restorations were placed on the glazed roof tiles and facing away from the lower town were painted emblems and insciptia two most important moments reminiscent of the monument. In 1898 the tower was turned into a museum.

Monastery Church
The edifice stands as monument of Gothic architecture, is located in the vicinity of Clock Tower. Since the 14th century between Monastery Church and the Roman Catholic Church, lies a monastic complex for Dominican monks and Franciscan nuns. The monastery, originally built at the foot of the hill, is attested since 1298 in a document by which Pope Boniface the 8th grant indulgences to those who visit. After the reform in 1556, monastery possessions were confiscated and the monks expelled from the city (under the pressure of the Habsburg authorities in 1723, the Franciscans back in the city), the building became the seat of public administration. In the past century monastic buildings were demolished in the rising place of the Municipal Council building and the Roman Catholic Church was built on site of the ancient chapels of Franciscan nuns, the present Bastion Street.
The old church was only partially preserved walls extended from the years 1484-1510 during the rebuild. The former monastery still preserves a corridor on the north side only; its current form dates from 1677. The shrine is built in the Gothic style, the main body is composed of three ships of equal height, church size reach 44.5 m long and 12.6 meters wide, in architecture and monuments are obvious elements of the baroque from Prague, spread the second half of the 17th century in Central Europe. Among the artistic and historic value holds a bronze font attention with a Latin inscription. Decorated with lilies and mythological and biblical scenes, the font is created in the Transylvanian Gothic style.
A door frame made of stone, decorated with floral wall built in the north; by the sculptor Thomas mason Sibiu, in 1570, is typical of the Renaissance style. The altar, rich ornate, is a mixture of Renaissance and Baroque style and is one of the most beautiful works of arts Transylvania. It was built in 1680 by sculptor and painter Johann Jeremias West Stranovius carvers guildsmen travel, they also are the creators of the current church organ.
After Transylvania became an autonomous principality, following the development of trade with the Orient, richest seniors of the city and guilds are proud and felt a debt of honor to adorn pews with oriental carpets. 35 great value carpets from the 16th and 17th centuries formed heritage and church ornaments
Gates
Clock Tower was built as the main entrance tower. This was particularly well fortified, being defended by three gates. The first gate crossing is under the vault beneath the building that now accommodates the house of culture \"Ciprian Porumbescu\". Court access leading to the second gate, the majesty overwhelms you and form massive tower Barbacan. A gate closes two massive oak doors, reinforced with iron bars, and the third gate was embedded in the wall of the pulley tower and rises like a guillotine. It was kept until 1867.
A third entrance is located in Taylor\'s Tower in the opposite side of the city. This is the only access to a car in the city, consisting of two arches that contained two metal gates, also raised by pulleys.

Tanners Tower

It is a prism on a square, relatively small size, with a simple roof. Its shape makes it suitable as one of the oldest towers, possibly making that first part of the city\'s defensive system.

Tin Tower

25 m high, it starts from a square base, and then becomes pentagonal and octagonal widens to become, while the roof has a hexagonal plan. A lost inscription stated that in 1583 repairs were made and probably also when artillery bastion was built from the Lower Town.

The Rope Makers Tower

Probably dating from the thirteenth century, this tower was part of the original fortification on the hill. The square plan, with simple forms, is now home cemetery keeper.

Butcher\'s Tower

From the Rope Tower down the city wall to the north east you reach the Butcher\'s Tower. Part of the wall between the two towers has been kept intact so you can see the stages of evolution. Butcher\'s Renaissance Tower is part of an octagonal prism Hexagonal Raised on a plan to get over the small bastion field artillery firing in front of him.

Furriers Tower

Located at very short distance from the Butcher\'s Tower, modest in size and shape on a square plan, repaired and raised after 1676, probably dating from the fifteenth century.

Taylor Tower

It requires simplicity and massiveness and can be dated from the fourteenth century. During town situated here the gunpowder forge exploded in 1676 and the fire destroyed a large part of the tower.

Shoemakers Tower

Located in the extreme north east of the castle hill, the tower was mentioned in 1521, rebuilt in 1650 and amended in 1681, bearing the seal of his baroque. The tower was equipped with an artillery stronghold, demolished in 1846.

Blacksmith Tower

Built in 1631, is a flanking tower, remarkable for its massiveness. His role was to protect the Church and Monastery in case of siege. In 1631 the tower was built a bulwark between Smiths and Coopers Tower, but was later demolished.

Jewelers Tower

This tower, together with Bastion Castaldo, was once key part to the city\'s defensive system. In 1706, during a siege was blown up and part of the bastion walls. Subsequently, jewelry Tower was hit by a lightning and burned in 1809, was demolished in 1863 and turned into a gym. In 1935 it was transformed into a mortuary chapel.

Castle Hill

Castle Hill can be climbed 175 steps of the Ladder Covered or on the street on the right, where you can see one of the best preserved sections of the fortress wall.
Church Hill is the most valuable architectural monument of Sighisoara, one of the representative buildings of the Gothic style in our country. Researchers agreed that the current church was built on the site of a fortress existence before 1200. The hill on which the church was a place of refuge by the locals it must be strengthened, perhaps, always for an emergency.
However, the coming of the Saxons must have been on a small hill fort, whose defense is the current the tower bell, the tower was situated opposite a church later on turned into the crypt. The first mention of the Hill Church in 1345 we have a document given by King Louis 1 which shows, among other things that the inhabitants of Sighisoara are faithful to the King and they building a church dedicated to St. Nicholas.

St. Iosif Roman Catholic Church built in 1894, after demolition of the Franciscan nuns, is in the NE of the city, near the wall. Built in eclectic style by Sighisoara architect Letz, the church underwent repairs after the fire inside of 22 March 1983. Current organ is bought from a nearby Saxon church was built by Karl Einschenk and 1908.
Leprous Church located in the Lower Town is a gothic monument of 15th century. 1647-1684 has been transformed into a small church which served the leprosy asylum, with a pulpit from which the west preached to the sick.
Cornesti Orthodox Church situated at the entrance to town from Targu-Mures, dedicated to the Virgin\'s entrance into the church sanctuary is the first stone of the Romanian Christian. Built in 1788-1797 on the site of a wooden church while the priest Stephen Balas Sacele Brasov, is a monument neoclassic adapted to the requirements of Orthodox worship. There are still time: the bell, a pall (liturgical veil) and a golden chalice. Interior wall painting is the work of artist Benjamin Precup 1983-1984. Old iconostasis painted by Ioan Pop from Brasov was given to Romanian Monastery of the jack, the current one dates from 1997 and is carved in wood by the artist Hutanu Bacau.
Orthodox Cathedral is located on the north shore of Big Tarnava, dedicated to Holy Trinity is built between 1934-1937, during Mayor Aurel Mosora by architect Gopes Dumitru Petrescu. Painter of the interior is done by A. Demian.
Venetian House, the old patrician house, is so named because of egg-shaped windows and doubled doors, closed in spring due to the appearance three sided. In seventeenth century belonged to the city mayor, Stephen Mann.
Vlad Dracul House is one of the oldest buildings in the city; small markets are left to the Clock Tower. The building has an air of simplicity and was formerly the official residence, belonging to the royal city mayor or county lord. Here was established between 1431-1435 Vlad Dracul, son of Mircea the Old. In that time was founded, probably in the cellars of the house, one Hereghie money mint. The floor was installed Arms Museum, which was later moved. Now the building is restored.