WorldAllDetails Logo

Destinations


Travel Europe Netherlands The seat of international law - Peace Palace The Hague

The seat of international law - Peace Palace The Hague

The Hague, Netherlands, Peace Palace, Front view

The Peace Palace in The Hague was built between 1907 and 1913, when in 1899 it was decided on a "Permanent Court of Arbitration" to mediate in international conflicts and threats of war.

After the location was determined, was collected, from various sources, the money for the building to be realized. He wore to the American businessman A. Carnegie for a donation of $ 1,500,000, said the Dutch State land worth 700,000 guilders and donations came from many countries like Russia, Italy, England, Denmark, France, Germany, Belgium and Japan.

For the design of the building, an international competition was held which was won by the French architect LM Cordonnier. The building is in the Dutch neo-Renaissance on exterior and the interior are also in addition to Dutch Italian style elements will be recognized.
The original design consisted of four wings around a courtyard with monumental towers at the four corners: two large bell towers at the front and two smaller at the back. Because the budget was too small for the original plan to implement the design had to be adjusted. This was done by Cordonnier and JAG van der Steur. The final building had only two towers and a library building in the palace itself was integrated. The gardens were designed by British architect Thomas H.Mawson.

The building houses have several components: from 1913 to the Permanent Court of Arbitration, Peace Palace Library and the Carnegie Foundation in the building; since 1923 building located in The Hague, The Hague Academy of International Law; between 1922 and 1946, the Permanent Court of International Justice, a part of the Peace Palace, which was succeeded in 1946 by the International Court. In addition, the palace used for various events related to international law and politics. The square before the palace is now frequently used for international protests against abuses in the fields of politics and law.

Since 2006, the old Academy building on the left of the palace and replaced with a new larger wing designed by British architect Michael Wilford. By a transparent reading is the new building connected to the original library in the palace.