Villa Rotonda in Italy is also known under the names Almerico Villa, Villa Capra, La Rotonda and Villa Rotunda. The cottage was built for the spiritual prelate Paolo Almerico. After a long stay in Rome, he moved back to the outskirts of Vicenza in Italy. He gave the architect Andrea Palladio, the assignment to design for his new home. In 1556 construction was started and three years later the cottage was completed. Palladio's protege Vincenzo Scamozzi was partly supervised the construction.
The villa is located near a hill and is surrounded on three sides by valleys. The landscape served as the basis for the architect. He devised a plan with a cube-shaped building shell. On all four sides is a classic portico were placed. For the first time all four facades treated equally.
Unlike the other Palladian villas here are missing the lower buildings, the building is designed more to this hill - near the city - parties to give than to dwell.
The architectural and decorative elements form a perfect harmonious unity. The identical porticos and long staircases on each side are due to their repetitive nature a surprise. Above the central rotunda is a dome on top. The design for the dome was based on the dome of the Pantheon. Originally the dome was open and the water poured in the middle of the room, but the dome was finally kept closed.
The villa is in the 20th century original state by Valmarana family of Venice. In 1994, the villa was placed on the World Heritage List of UNESCO.