WorldAllDetails Logo

Destinations


Travel Asia China The Forbidden City aka Palace Museum

The Forbidden City aka Palace Museum

Beijing, China, Forbidden City enterance gate

The Forbidden City is a huge oasis in the middle of the crowded Chinese capital Beijing. The building complex was formerly called Zi Jin Cheng, "Purple Forbidden City", but is now renamed Go Gong, "Palace Museum".

Scale

The entire complex covers an area of up to 250,000 square meters (about one hundred football pitches) surrounded by a brick wall of ten meters high. Inside are nine thousand eight hundred buildings with rooms achieved. The city, in addition to a brick wall -b-, is surrounded by a moat of 54 meters wide. Near the four corners are four major ports and applied to the four corners protect high towers of the city.

Building history

Emperor Chu Ti-le Joeng ordered the construction of the Forbidden City. This mighty general and political strategist initially ruled out the old, southern, capital Nanking, but he moved to the loyal North. In the former Beipung (Peace of the North), he at the site of the old palace of Juan emperors new palace built, what the Forbidden City was and that Beipung was renamed Beijing ("Capital of the North"). The complex was built between 1406 and 1421 and served as administrative center and living quarters for 24 emperors of the Ming and Tj'ing dynasties. As in other ancient buildings, such as Kiyomizu Dera in Kyoto, has repeatedly fire in the city that the current buildings from different strains years. So Kwan Lung Emperor (1736-1795) extensive rebuilding and refurbishing the complex, which he left to establish gardens and the colorful screen of the Nine Dragons had built (27.5 meters long and 5.5 meters high).

Buildings

The complex is more or less symmetrically along a north-south axis, which is common in Chinese architecture. The buildings themselves are a prime example of traditional Chinese architecture. They form a unit through the use of yellow tiles and red brick walls, adorned with bright yellow tiles with decorative motifs, the curved roofs with raised roof decks and inclined shields carried by beta lights styles between which rules are applied.
The city is divided in two: on the south side were the buildings with a political office buildings in the northern part were reserved for private functions of the imperial family and relatives. The structure of the city actually consists of a row of the main buildings: the Gate and the Hall of Supreme Harmony (Taihe Dian), the Hall of Middle Harmony (Zhong Dian), the Hall of Preserving Harmony (Baohe Dian), the Palace of Heavenly Purity, the Hall of Fertility and the Palace of Earthly Tranquility. On the north side of the Forbidden City, the hill Jing Shan ("Coal Hill"), arising from the excavation of the moat, and on the south side of town is the Square of Heavenly Peace.
The food palace is located on the south side and consists of three major Halls of Harmony, posted three-storey, marble increases. These halls were used for political and military audiences, and ceremonies. The largest complex is the Taihe Dian. This hall is 54 meters wide and 37 meters long and covers an area of nine tennis courts. Here, important ceremonies like coronation, weddings and initiations and holidays celebrated held where hundreds of thousands of people flocked. The inner palace is located on the north side and consists of three major palaces increases, plus private rooms, barns, libraries , gardens and temples .

Current position

After the last emperor of China, Aisin Gioro P'oe-i, was ousted in 1924, the Forbidden City in 1925 a museum . It is now the world's largest museum and houses a great many important works of art, antiques and paintings in Chinese history. It is visited by tens of millions of visitors. In 1987, the Forbidden City added to the World Heritage List by UNESCO.